Tuesday 3 November 2009

The world of media


Written by Cordula Bieri

On Monday, 26 October, Talyn and I participated in a media-training organised by Media Trust. The training was part of the Learning Revolution, which enabled people throughout the UK to participate in all kind of courses for free. This was really a great initiative as these courses are often very expensive. Especially for smaller organisations they are hardly affordable.

So we went to Peckham Library with the best intentions to learn a lot about how we can use media more successfully. In the morning we had a workshop on how to use different social media. As there are so many different ways in communicating over the internet we actually didn’t come much further than the pros and cons of the various social media. But after lunch Kate Fox held a speech about how she used social media in a local campaign. This was very useful as it showed how to set priorities and how to develop a social media strategy with little money and time.

In the afternoon I went to a workshop, where I learned how to get the attention of journalists with a press release. I guess we have to start thinking much more like journalists. Issues we get very excited about can be very boring for a broader audience. So it is very important to ask “what’s new?” and “what’s the story?”.

I just realised that I haven’t put the things I have learned at the training into practice yet. This blog is much too late. Blogs should be written on the day itself if possible, but I guess I am still learning…

No comments:

Post a Comment